Champion boat proves fastest
Lucas Oil OuterlimitsandTeam SW1 Capitalwill start on pole position, in the Evolution and SuperSport classes, for this weekend’s Turkish Grand Prix in Istanbul.
Charging head-on into the ferocious Bosphorus current,Lucas Oil Outerlimitspipped theCigarette Smash Pokerhull by less than a second, powering their Chief engine up to speeds of 110mph to guarantee prime positioning for Saturday’s Sprint Race.
Clocking a total time of 2:07,77 for their two laps,Lucas Oil Outerlimitspilot Nigel Hook was understandably delighted with the boats performance, erasing the disappointments of the Maltese Grand Prix, where the American team’s boat was filling up with water the end of the Endurance Race.
Hook said: “Everyone saw how smooth theLucas Oil Outerlimitsboat ran over the top of the water today. It’s very fractional but the design of the hull will lend itself to the Bosphorus’ disturbed and very strong waters.
“Looking at the qualifying times, there is less than a second between ourselves andCigarette Smash Pokerso it will be a very tough competition with both Italian teams,Cigaretteand the otherOuterlimits,SNAV OSG, just behind in third too.”
Equally as satisfied with their efforts after displeasing late drama in Valletta, Team SW1 Capital duo, Kim Collins and Dan Cramphorn, who snuck home in 2:41,01, were “very pleased” with their start to the Turkish Grand Prix.
Collins said: “I was a little worried about getting our speed right after what happened in Malta but the boat ran perfectly and we got what we wanted – only just though!
Finishing a mere 0.18 seconds ahead of Baia Attolini (2;41.19) in second and with only two seconds separating the top five teams in a closely fought SuperSport class, Cramphorn,Team SW1 Capital’sPilot and Team Principal, is expecting a very tight race.
“It’s going to be very close. The turns are so tight, so it’s certainly going to be exciting and I strongly advise anyone who is on Suada Island to bring their cameras because they’re going to have a lot to watch.”
Classified Results (Evolution):
1. Lucas Oil Budweiser (Joe Sgro / Nigel Hook / Mike Fiore) Total Time 02:07.77
2. Cigarette Smash Poker (Luca Fomilli Fendi / Matteo Nicolini) 02:08.51
3. SNAV OSG (Hannes Bohinc / Giovanni Carpitella) 02:09.73
4. Furnibo (Pierre Colpin / Frank Hemelaer) 02:15.04
5. Metamarine Corse Pignolo (Marco Pennesi / Max Ferrari / Stefano Bonnano) 02:15.88
6. Silverline (Jan Falkowski / Drew Langdon) 02:23.53
7. Cranefield Wines (Siegfried Greve / Gino Passchier) RETIRED
Classified Results (Supersport):
1. Team SW1 Capital (Daniel Cramphorn / Kim Collins) Total Time 02:41.01
2. Baia Attolini (Stefano Acanfora / Renato Guidi / Roy Capasso) 02:41.19
3. Big Sergio (Alfredo Nuzzo / Alfredo Amato) 02:41.28
4. Ikocasa (Shelley Jory / Audrienne Ciantar) 02:42.51
5. Seagull Chaudron (Aaron Ciantar / Angelo Tedesci / Viktor Shemchuk) 02:42.96
6. MasForce (Micha Robyn / Patrick Huybreghts / Marc Sluszny) 02:50.33
7. Blue Shaft (Gianbattista Gabriele / Alfredo Zanardo / Federico Montanari) 02:52.29