Getting into boating

The Motor Boats Monthly guide to buying your first boat - plus berthing, budgeting and other essential information

Insurance and documentation

There is no national requirement in the UK to take out insurance but when it comes to mooring up marinas and mooring operators require you to have £2,000,000 public liability and third part liability. If the boat is financed, there will often be a requirement for insurance of the vessel.

– 22ft (7m) sportsboat worth £20,000
Annual premium £250-£300

– 30ft (10m) sportscruiser worth £60,000
Annual premium £400-£500

You should have the following documentation otherwise it can be very difficult to sell the boat afterwards or take it overseas.

 – Vessel registration
 – Builder’s certificate
 – Bill of sale
 – RCD compliance
 – Proof of VAT-paid status

On used boats, ask for service history receipts as these come in handy for your records and when the boat is sold.

Next page Previous page


Latest videos