Day 15 – Normandy cruise

The decision was made to stay in St-Valery-en-Caux as the actuals showed that conditions in the middle of the Channel were not favourable

The fleet remains in St-Valery-en-Caux for a further night after it was deemed too uncomfortable for the majority of the boats to make a Channel crossing.

We had hoped to leave St Valery-en-Caux on today’s afternoon tide but as the weather is looking much better for tomorrow, Neale decided to hold the fleet back for a potential early Sunday morning crossing.

The crew on board Evolution were determined to get home today though, and as it is one of the larger boats they decided to make a dash for it when the bridge lifted at 3pm.


Recommended videos for you

We’ve just heard, however, that they have only made it as far as Fecamp. Still, as it is an all-tides port it will be easier for them to time their departure when they see a weather window.

For the rest of us, we will plan our departure from St Valery-en-Caux with military precision to ensure we can get all the boats through the tidal gate in time. The gate will open at 5am and if all is looking well Time Flies will go out first to check conditions in the Channel.

Then, if Claire and Richard report back good news, Neale and I will start calling for boats to start slipping their lines in small groups to get them through one of five lifting bridges.

If all goes to plan we will soon be on our passage home and we should be back in Blighty by this time tomorrow, having bid au revoir to France.