Day 10 – Normandy

Another day of rain and high winds for the fleet and a 'no go' for next port Deauville

Rainy days on Mondays….

Position 49° 17.644 N 000° 05.853 W
Port Guillaume Marina, Dives sur Mer

It was a restless night for the MBM fleet with heavy rain overnight.
Today would be the day of reckoning for the fleet, would they escape Port Guillaume to Deauville?

Participants had most of the day to themselves, and in between the heavy rain showers, they escaped their damp boats for a change of scene. Unfortunately many of the shops in town were closed for any last minute supplies needed.

The wind continued to build throughout the day, and much more than forecast. The crunch time came at 5.15 when the lock gate opened. Being a southwesterly, the team were hopeful there would be some shelter from the land for the short hop along the coast. The wind direction would be critical, if the wind shifted to the north-west, as predicted, the entrance to Deauville would become uncomfortable for the fleet. A quick, and rather wet assessment by Richard and Neale, aboard Time Flies confirmed what they had suspected; the fleet would not be moving anywhere again today. Later, back on Calm Voyager, a weather update showed the wind speed in the middle of the Channel had reached 34 knots (Force 8).