Day 6 Normandy Shakedown Cruise

The fleet moves from St Vaast to Carentan


49°18.62N 001°14.08W

The weather was as expected today. Strong winds in the morning of 25 knots, easing by departure time to around a force 3. The crew of Blue Fin took a long walk to the headland at La Hougue, not only to walk of the overindulgence of too many visits to the patisserie, but also to get a good look at the sea conditions. With 25-30 knots of wind in the Channel there was a concern that even with moderating winds, the sea could have built to an uncomfortable state.

Luckily the east side of the Cotentin peninsula seemed to have escaped the worst of the wind, and we departed as soon as the gate opened into a manageable swell. 10nm later we were turning in towards Carentan. Just then the heavens opened and we were greeted with a thunder and lightning show. The heavy rain continued all the way up the canal, through the lock and onto the moorings. Most crews were soaked, but happy.

The forecast for the next few days looks unsettled. More rain but light winds seem to be the consensus among the forecasts we are studying. We are staying in Carentan for 2 nights and, if the weather stays reasonable, will depart Friday for Grandcamp Maisy. In the meantime, it’s time to dry out our clothes and explore our new surroundings.

Recommended videos for you

Picture caption: The walk around La Hougue is worthwhile, a rainy passage along the canal to Carentan and the moorings at the end of the passage.


Latest videos