Final results declared following tragic loss of closest contenders
The World Professional Powerboat Association (WPPA) has issued the final points and classifications for the 2009 UIM-WPPA Class 1 World Offshore Powerboat Championship.
Fazza’s Arif Al Zafeen and Nadir bin Hendi end the year as Class 1 World, Middle East and Edox Pole Position Champions. Victory 1’s Mohammad Al Mehairi and Jean-Marc Sanchez, the 2009 Class 1 European Champions, who tragically lost their lives in what was the last race of the season, were runners-up with Kolbjorn Selmer and Jorn Tandberg in Welmax taking third place.
Foresti & Suardi – Roscioli Hotels’ Giampaolo Montavoci recorded his best-ever Championship result in fourth place, ahead of Maritimo 1I, Sea Dubai-C.A.M sixth, with Victory 7 and Giorgioffshore in seventh and eighth.
2009 CLASS 1 WORLD POWERBOAT CHAMPIONSHIP
1. Fazza – A Al Zafeen (UAE)/N Bin Hendi (UAE) – 155pts
2. Victory – M Al Mehairi (UAE)/JM Sanchez (FRA) – 134pts
3. Welmax – K Selmer (NOR)/J Tandberg (NOR) – 92pts
4. Foresti&Suardi-Roscioli Hotels – R Lo Piano (ITA)/G Montavoci (ITA) – 64pts
5. Maritimo – T Barry-Cotter (AUS)/PV Nilsen (NOR) – 58pts
6. Sea Dubai – C.A.M. – A Al Hameli (UAE)/G Carpitella (ITA) – 57pts
7. Victory – A Al Mehairbi (UAE)/M Al Marri (UAE) – 54pts
8. Giorgioffshore – C