Overall victory in Galway moves Rupert Pugh and Dan Whapples further up the championship table
Heights of Abraham was the toast of Galway over the weekend after the 300hp-Class Superstock outfit conquered its third and fourth successive championship win of the season.
Driven by Rupert Pugh and Dan Whapples, the two winning results bolstered their chances of claiming back-to-back Grand Prix of the Sea trophies with yet another flawless performance on the water.
The team’s unrivalled speed secured a record-breaking weekend. After standing above runners-up Evans Heritage Developments and Rough Cut Racing on the podium after the first race, navigator Whapples was confident of even more glory in the second. He was proved right.
“We’re really pleased with the results. Galway is an outstanding venue and it was fantastic to compete in front of large crowds and later interact with the spectators,” he said.
“Our victory was down to a fantastic combination of having good boat setup and getting a quick understanding of the conditions. We’ve prepared well in training and now it’s showing.”
Having had more time getting used to this season’s new Mercury 300 XS Engines, Whapples believes the competition will get even livelier.
“Evans Heritage Developments were a lot stronger with Rhys Evans at the wheel. There is some great potential in the whole fleet and just observing how close Rough Cut Racing and Team Shark were battling it out towards the finish shows that once everyone finds their rhythm, we knew it was going to be almighty close.”
Sunday 150-Class Results
1. Premier Cru (John Wilson & Neil Scarborough)
2. Eclipse (Rose Lores & Sara Cureton)
3. Team Fox (Martin Colligan & Gideon du Val)
4. GSS Mermaid (David Hobson & Kirsty Clark)
5. Flying Sparks (Martin Wild & Robert Brooker)
DNF Octane (Alan Power & Andy Wilby)
Sunday 300-Class Race Results
1. Heights of Abraham (Rupert Pugh & Dan Whapples)
2. Maurice Lacroix (Michael Baggs & Stephen Baggs)
3. Evans Heritage Developments (Rhys Evans & Haydn Evans)
4. Rough Cut Racing (Ian Brusby & Andy Wilby)
5. Team Shark (Stuart Cureton & Liam McDermott)
6. Fuel Girls (Vanessa Fuel & Sam Fuel)