Historic lighter in £100,000 river cruiser refit
The boat featured in John Constable’s Boat Building near Flatford Mill in 1815 has been restored to its former glory. The 200 year old, 47ft boat had some £100,000 spent on it before being handed back to the River Stour Trust at Great Cornard this week.
The vessel, now named John Constable, was rescued in 1970, but then sat in a dry dock for 41 years before being restored by the Pioneer Sailing Trust.
River Stour lighters were common in the 1800’s between Mistley Quay and Sudbury on the Suffolk Essex boarder.