Historic gathering of 1,000 boats on the Thames is now just weeks away
Organisers of the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant – now just weeks away – have published a list of many of the craft taking part in the 1,000-boat procession.
Head to the event’s website to see which boats will be on the water on June 3, from Dunkirk Little Ships and kayaks to barges and leisure boats.
MBY will be represented on the day by our ‘Our Boats’ columnist Kim Hollamby in his boat Formanda. Meanwhile, our sister title, Motor Boats Monthly, will be on the water in their Cruising Club boat T L Sea.
– Pageant route, including mustering and dispersal, is 13 miles long, from Hammersmith to the Old Royal Navy College, Greenwich
– Flotilla will pass under 14 bridges
– Boats will be travelling at 6 knots speed over ground
– One of the vessels taking part, the Amazon, also too park in Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
– The biggest boat taking part is 65 metres long
– The bascules of Tower Bridge will be raised in salute