The Netherlands

Our detailed guide to European destinations

EU member?




Ship’s papers

Ship’s registration papers.

You must carry a copy of the Binnenvaart Politiereglement, contained in the Almanak voor Watertoerisme, obtainable from at £20. No English version is available.

Ship’s radio licence.

Crew papers


On the Scheldt estuary, the Ijsselmeer, the Waddenzee, the Eems and the Dollard, the skipper will need an International Certificate of Competence and Day Skipper or Yachtmaster shorebased completion certificate.

VHF operator’s certificate.

Report to Customs?

Not if arriving from EU country.

If arriving from non-EU country, you must report on arrival and departure to Customs at a port of entry (see Macmillan Nautical Almanac for these).

Inland formalities

Boats capable of more than 10.8 knots must obtain a fast boat registration certificate ­ “bewijs van registratie van een snelle motorboot” and display their registration number. To get your boat registered, visit a head post office on arrival in the Netherlands, taking with you proof of your identity and proof that you own the boat, plus your engine’s serial number(s). Once you know your number, display sticky-backed numbers around 6in high on both sides of the boat. For boats longer than 15m or capable of more than 11 knots, the skipper must hold the ICC. (See also crew papers above).


Readily available.


Readily available.

Shore power 220V AC

Available in many places.


Butagaz (usable with a special regulator) readily available.

Camping Gaz

Readily available.

Berthing fees

Less than UK.


Guilder or Dutch florin (100 cents).

Credit cards

Widely accepted. Can be used in cashpoints.


Widely accepted.

Travellers cheques

Can change in banks.

Emergencies ­ VHF

Coastguards at IJmuiden monitor Ch 16 and coordinate rescue. Good lifeboat coverage.

Emergencies ­ phone

Ambulance 0611 or 112

Police 0611 or 112

Fire 0611 or 112


Yes. According to the tourist board, no medical certificate is needed if direct from UK.

Telephone boxes

Use coins, and phonecards bought in post offices, newsagents, tobacco shops.

Dialling code to UK

0044 then the number, omitting the first 0.

Weather forecasts

BBC Radio 4 long wave, shipping forecasts and gale warnings for Thames area.


Dimensions as UK, but load must not extend more than 20cm each side of trailer. Some narrow roads have width restriction of 2.20m.

Charts and books

Dutch charts recommended, both for coast and Frisian islands, and inland waterways. Available from chart agents in UK.

Macmillan Nautical Almanac.

Cruising Guide to the Netherlands. Brian Navin. Imray.

British Embassy

Lange Voorhout 10, The Hague, 2514 ED. Tel: 0031 427 0427. Visit or email

Tourist office in UK

Netherlands Board of Tourism, Eggington House, 25-28 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6LD. Tel: 0906 871 7777. Calls are 60p per minute for a recorded message so try


Dutch. Most Dutch people speak excellent English.

September 2001


Latest videos