Second family treated after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on Windermere boat

A separate case of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning was reported on a boat on Lake Windermere over the weekend

In a worrying echo of the Easter Monday boat tragedy on Lake Windermere in which a mother and her daughter died after a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning, a second family was rushed to hospital this weekend.

A statement from Cumbria Police said, “Lake Wardens were called to assist a family on Lake Windermere when they became unwell during Saturday evening whilst on board a boat, which they had borrowed from a friend.

“The ambulance service were called and they were taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary and were released after treatment. It is believed they may have become ill after leaving the boat engine running with the canopy closed.”

Mark Roach from Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service, said, “Please remember Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas given off by all appliances burning fossil fuels such as gas, coal, wood or oil, if they’re not working properly or in an enclosed space.

“Incidents can prove fatal and even low levels can cause lasting damage to your health. Always follow instructions when using gas appliances and other items such as camping stoves, lights and even barbecues. Carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour. We strongly recommend that you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home and take one on holiday.”

Recommended videos for you

Subscribe to MBM – you can now get the iPad edition when you subscribe in print for no extra cost.


Latest videos